Baltimore Contract Drafting and Review Attorney
Ken C. GauveyPersonal Injury Attorney
Contracts are at the heart of business, a good contract can help your business grow, and a bad one can lead to conflicts. A well-drafted contract sets the tone for any business relationship, and that is why it is critical that you take the time to thoroughly prepare and review a contract before you sign. Ken Gauvey is an experienced and aggressive negotiator who strives to obtain the best possible outcome for his clients. He advises a wide range of businesses throughout the Baltimore area, as well as throughout Maryland.
Types of Contracts
All too often a business deal becomes negative because of improperly drafted contracts. It is critical to take the time not only to create a contract, but also to review a contract that is presented to you. By carefully drafting a contract you can avoid costly business disputes and can keep your business on track. Ken Gauvey has experience drafting all of the following contract types.
- Employment Agreements – An employment agreement contract is critical to running a successful business where you will have employees. An employment agreement establishes the terms of employment between a company and its employees. Having a well-designed employment agreement is a way of protecting both business owners as well as employees. Ken Gauvey has also drafted partnership agreements and shareholder agreements.
- Restrictive Covenants – Restrictive covenants are particularly useful in employment contracts. This type of term often establishes that when an employee is leaving that they cannot disclose confidential information to their new employer about the business practices of their former employer.
- Selling or Buying Real Estate – Buying a home is probably the biggest commitment that you will ever undertake. Your home is important because not only is it a large investment but it is where you and your family will live. That is why it is critical to have a well-drafted contract that covers all the possible liabilities that come along with selling a home. In addition, having a contract that is thorough will prevent you from losing the home of your dreams.
- Leasing an Apartment – As a landlord or a tenant you are bound by the terms of the contract. To ensure that you are protected and don’t find yourself on the street it is critical to take the time to carefully review and construct a contract.
Other contracts Ken Gauvey is experienced in drafting include:
- Sale or purchase of goods
- Contracts with vendors and suppliers
- Service contracts
- Limited Liability Company Operating Agreements
- Retail contracts
- Home improvement contracts
It is important that all the terms and conditions of a contract are incorporated into the text of the contract. Business transactions and agreements are not always a smooth process, however, one of the best ways to ensure that a relationship and business deal goes smoothly is to carefully draft and review a contract based on the individual needs of your business.
Business owners, vendors, and even private parties enter into contracts almost every day. Indeed, contracts are at the heart of almost every business deal. That is why it is important to carefully review and understand the terms of a contract before you sign on the dotted line. Some things that you should keep in mind while reviewing a contract include:
- Make sure all the parties to the contract are clearly identified
- Ensure that all parties expectations, risks, and obligations are defined
- Define the scope of any work or services that will be performed
- Define what will be delivered
- Define how payment will be made
- Be aware of overly broad language
- Determine the liability that the contract imposes
- Identify any indemnification clauses
- Review causes for terminating a contract
A properly formed contract can help facilitate business, but a poorly drafted one can lead to a business’s decline. Protecting your interests and rights is critical, so do not risk your hard work.
Baltimore Business Attorney Ken Gauvey can Help You with Your Contracts
Ken Gauvey has experience drafting and reviewing a variety of contracts. His goal is to ensure that your business needs are being met. In addition, if you are already involved in a contract and a dispute arises, Ken Gauvey has experience negotiating and resolving contract disputes. Ken Gauvey has years of experience advising and assisting businesses and individuals with all matters relating to contracts. For more information, or to schedule an appointment, contact us today at (410) 346-2377.